Smashing my previous record of miles walked during the weeklong trounament.
As a Photographer of the Waste Management Phoenix Open, my assignment is to document everything that happens during the week-long tournament.
During the day it’s usually golfers and crowds, the evenings is dinners and parties for the sponsors or the Coors Light Birds Nest concerts.
Last year for 2018, I walked just shy of 50 miles walked which equates to roughly 114,905 steps total or a 16,417 daily average. I burned about 11,000 calories and took 16,271 photos.
This year, for 2019, here are my stats:
- 65.5 miles walked
- 124,934 steps
- 13,732 calories burned
- 17, 379 photos
I posted each day’s GPS tracker on Instagram (click here to view)
Photographers friend or foe?
Normally rain and cameras don’t mix. Luckily another great feature of my Olympus cameras is the weatherproofing. The E-M1 Mark II provided outstanding grip and is hermetically sealed to be splashproof, dustproof, and freezeproof down to 14°F (luckily it wasn’t that cold this week!
Last year I switched camera systems from Canon to Olympus (read a little about that here) Switching cameras systems did come with some challenges but also had quite a few improvements. Aside from the weight savings, the silent shutter (Pro Capture) was my favorite feature!
Rickie Fowler tees off at the 2018 Waste Management Phoenix Open. Captured with the Olympus OM-D EM-1 II on high-speed silent mode with the Olympus M.Zuiko 7-14mm f/2.8 PRO wide angle lens. The silent mode allows me to photograph the entire swing without disrupting the golfer, this is HUGE for golf!
What’s in the Bag
My 2nd year with Olympus mirrorless cameras
This year was very similar to last year.
- 3 x Olympus OM-D E-M1 II cameras
- Olympus PEN-F camera
- Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm f/4 PRO super telephoto lens
- Olympus M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO telephoto lens
- Olympus m.Zuiko 1.4x Teleconverter
- Olympus M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO medium angle lens
- Olympus M.Zuiko 7-14mm f/2.8 PRO wide angle lens
- Olympus M.Zuiko 12-100mm f/4 PRO super zoom lens
- Olympus M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.2 PRO prime lens
- Olympus M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.2 PRO prime lens
- Olympus M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.2 PRO prime lens
- Olympus M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 prime lens
- 2 x Olympus FL-900R flashes
- 12 High Speed memory cards
- Extra batteries for the cameras, flashes and phone
Luckily I don’t have to carry ALL of this with me at all times. Since I’ve switched to Olympus I’m carrying less than half the weight compared to my old Canon equipment. Walking as much and for as many hours as I do this was a HUGE improvement to my health and performance.
I get several offers of, “Hey man, if you ever need an assistant to carry all that, let me know.” Unfortunately that isn’t an option right now so I schedule 1-2 massages after the tournament with my favorite person, Audrey of Sacred Roots Wellness and she gets me fixed up right away.